Hello everyone. I hope all is well with you. I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. I know I did. We had good food and it was great to see my family.
I enjoy the holidays, but they can be stressful. From trying to prepare food, shop, and get togethers, the holidays can zap the positive energy out of anyone. I’ve put together a list of stress relievers I use to get my yin and yang back on track.
- Go for a walk. Just getting out in the fresh air and walking for a little while does me a world of good. I usually go at least two miles so I can clear out all that negative mojo that’s been building up.
Photo on VisualHunt.com
- Read. Immerse yourself in a good book. Did you know reading for just six minutes can reduce your stress level by sixty eight percent? What a way to calm down. So next time you’re stressed pick up a good book. It’ll do you a world of good.
Photo on VisualHunt
- Get together with a friend. They say laughter is the best medicine, and I wholeheartedly agree. There’s nothing better than getting together with friends and sharing memories. It’s also a great way to deal with the stress of the holidays.
Photo on Visualhunt.com
- Work out. Any kind of exercise is a great way to deal with stress. I run, and when I can’t run outside, I run on a treadmill. Not as much fun, but just as effective in burning calories and giving you the runner’s high that’ll get you through the day.
- Hike. If you can get out into nature and hike, I recommend it. There’s something about being out in nature that is calming. In fact, it’s been scientifically proven that it’s beneficial for you. Check out my post on Forest-bathing, you’ll see there are health benefits from just walking in the woods. Forest Bathing
Photo by EJP Photo on Visual Hunt / CC BY-NC-SA
- Bubble baths. Nothing says stress relief like a bubble bath. Before I had kids, I’d take one after I ran. A double whammy of destressors, that’s for sure and some days I needed it.
- Get a Massage. I can’t stress this enough. Getting a massage is an excellent stress reliever. In fact, it’s one of my favorites. It’s a great way to relieve those aches and pains as well and it’s good for your body.
Photo on Visualhunt
- Binge watch a Netflix Series. This is a great way to relieve the angst the holidays can bring on. This is one of my favorite things to do especially when it’s cold and dark outside. There are many great series out there to watch. If you need a recommendation, just let me know.
9.Go to a Movie. This is another way to get out of the house and relax. There’s always at least one good movie playing at the theater and a great way to forget about the holidays for a couple of hours.
- Coloring. I know it sounds crazy, but there’s research suggesting that coloring in those adult coloring books is an excellent way to relieve stress. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s on my list of things to try.
So there you have it, ten great ways to relieve stress over the holidays. I have a few favorites that work best for me and I’m sure you do, too. What are your favorite stress relievers? Leave a comment and share, I’m always looking for new ways to relax!
57 thoughts on “Looking for Some Stress Relief for the Holidays?”
I’ll be trying a few of those over the holidays!!!!
Glad to hear it, Ritu! Thanks for stopping by!
We went for a walk yesterday too! Not just for stress relief, but both because the weather was nice and we needed to get rid of a few of those Thanksgiving calories!
Good for you! Walking is one of the best exercises for your body!
I actually do all of these haha! I like to shop with a friend during the holidays, It’s nice to have someone to chat with and take a break for coffee or food during a stressful time. I also do a lot of stress baking, too much, some might say 🤣
Oh wow. I didn’t think of baking. That’s another great stress reliever, but hard when you’re trying to lose weight!
Great relaxing ideas ! My favorites are Netflix and working out, I can rest well after both 😊
I love all of your stress relieving activities you list here, Lisa! Walking, hiking, or just being active outside is something my entire family does on Thanksgiving day. There is just something about getting out and being active in the fresh air after being stuffed in a house and stuffed with food that feels oh so wonderful. Reading and Netflix are also some of my favorite activities to slow down – especially after the kids are sleeping. 🙂 Great post!
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Coloring is AMAZING and I swear by it’s ability to calm me. Here is a HILARIOUS coloring book I bought off Amazon. The act of reading each page makes me laugh, thus destressing me. https://www.amazon.com/Calm-Down-Irreverent-Adult-Coloring/dp/1522864741/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511638219&sr=8-2&keywords=coloring+book+f
Thank you! I will definitely check it out! 🙂
Workout and massage are my two big one. Thanks for the reminder! So easy to forget in the daily hustle.
Definitely! We have to remember to take care of ourselves, right?
All are things I love to do…especially massages. I get one every month more for physical ailments than stress relief. Maybe I should add a second one in to get the stress relief?
I love to color and I love a relaxing walk. I really need to get back to reading novels though as I have fallen out of the habit. Thank you for the tips!.
Love the idea of Forest Bathing. I’ll have to check out your link, but I’ve had plenty of experience with hiker baths (rinsing off in streams or ponds and letting the sun dry us). Couldn’t agree more about the benefits of hiking!
I knew you’d like the hiking idea! 🙂 It’s one of my favorite things to do.
great destressing options, Lisa! I will choose a walk or hike. sometimes, spa is good too!
Definitely, Arv! Thanks for stopping by!
You are welcome 😃
Massages are the best thing ever!
They are! I really miss them! 🙂
Love all your suggestions, Lisa! Especially #7! Wink. Keep sane during the holidays, my friend!
You, too, Sharon! Thanks for stopping by!
These are great ideas. I did some exercise over Thanksgiving, laughed with family, took a hike, went to a movie and binge-watched Hallmark movies. I feel completely stress-free!
Awesome! Those are the best holidays!
I’m starting to feel the holiday stress already, so think I need to do a few of these!
Me, too! I hope you find one or two of these ideas helpful! 🙂
Reading these is even relaxing x
Writing this post was relaxing, too. 😉
I’m a big believer of a nice walk in the woods as a way to clear your head
Yes. I love hiking. It’s one of my most favorite things to do.
I am planning to do all of these things 🙂
Good for you! I hope you have an awesome holiday!
Apart from the bubble bath and the coloring (which I suppose you could do at the same time anyway), I love the rest!
Glad to hear it! Thanks for stopping by, Denzil!
Walking in nature. Yes. So much. Nature is a magical stress-reliever. And I can vouch for the coloring. Give it a try. 🙂
Thanks for the heads up! I will! 🙂
I will definitely be following these tips – thanks for sharing on BUYB! I have included your post on my regular feature Monday Magic – Inspiring Blogs for You! Claire (PainPalsBlog)
Awww…thanks, Claire! That’s so sweet!
Good to share xxx
I’m all for relaxing during the upcoming stress of the holidays! I’ll try to catch some more episodes of Suits 😉
There you go! That’s a pretty good show!
Awww…thanks for the shout out, Christy! I appreciate it! 🙂 You’re so sweet!
Lovely post and well guided for how to relax during your holidays
Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts! 🙂
You are welcome 😊
In a nutshell, I do all of your suggestions. I like variety and happen to listen to my “inner guidance” as to what is needed. Thank you for sharing these tips. They are invaluable!!!
You’re very welcome. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
My favorite of your tips was coloring- I guess that shows the kid in me haha! Thank you for the post 🙂
You’re welcome. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
I enjoyed my visit! 🙂